Page  of 5 Next >>
Dan_uk
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Dan_uk Replybullet Topic: Recognising silent reflux
    Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 11:40am
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone here is suffering from a hoarse, croaky voice particularly if you suffer from LPR or silent reflux? I find it hard to tell when I have reflux, other than a feeling of the presence of food in the esophagus without pain.

Another symptom that's gotten gradually worse for me is difficulty breathing, somewhat better when lying on my back though. I've heard the hiatal hernia makes taking deep breaths from your diaphragm hard as there's too much pressure and too little space due to the HH?

Also think acid has damaged the lungs as with many of us, I wonder what that damage means for us long term?

Cheers,

Dan
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 12:09pm
> Wondering if anyone here is suffering from a hoarse, croaky voice

Been there, got the T-shirt!

The paper I found that gave the best explanation was
<a href="http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijol/2012/646901/">Reflux Revisited: Advancing the Role of Pepsin</a>

And to save Chris pointing it out again, there is an acknowledged "Conflict of Interest".
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 12:20pm
Hi Dan,

Extra-oesophageal reflux (also variously named "Silent Reflux", "Laryngo-Pharyngeal Reflux (LPR)" and "Respiratory reflux - terms coined by American ENT doctor Jamie Kaufman) is not readily recognised by many people, patients and doctors alike.

For us who have suffered with it, the symptoms can be easily mistaken for so many other causes. A more definitive diagnosis may be obtainable using the Peptest. For £50 you can order a home saliva test collection kit and return the collected sample for analysis.
It looks for the presence of pepsin in your saliva. Since this enzyme should only be found in the stomach, it is a reasonable indicator of whether reflux from stomach to throat has occured.

When my acid symptoms and horrendous heartburn had been controlled by PPIs, my cough and other otorhinolaryngological symptoms were indicative that reflux continued.

Aspirating reflux into the airways can cause considerable damage to the lungs even resulting in life threatening conditions such as pneumonia and brochiectasis.

With the more usual (sliding) hiatus hernia the diaphragmatic muscle will be displaced; it works in conjunction with the phreno-oesophageal muscle to form the lower oesophageal sphincter. This can cause problems with deep breathing.
At the same time, breathing exercises can strengthen the diaphragmatic muscle to help strengthen the LOS and the Active Cycle of Breathing technique for Cystic Fibrosis patients can help remove excess mucous aspirated from extra-oesophageal reflux.

Edited by chrisrob - 23†Apr†2016 at 12:24pm
IP IP Logged
Dan_uk
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Dan_uk Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 2:13pm
Thanks Chris, great advice yet again! I'll definitely be ordering the pepsin test. I read in another post that silent reflux is thought to be caused by excessive reflux as a baby- something I suffered with quite notoriously within my family! Never kept food down right through my childhood or even teenage years. Did mention this to GI's but it didn't seem to be something that was of significance.

Is there a telltale sign to confirm if acid is in the lungs? I have a constant 'hissing' or rattling when I breath, and a definite tightness.

Inserting on the sliding hernia. When I press between my ribs where they meet, there is a click/pop, like something has moved, would that be the hernia?

@pyrrhonist/ thanks, great link- or what I managed to read of it anyway! Does the conflict of interest refer to them promoting a certain drug that deals with pepsin? If so I missed it so please clarify if possible- I'm not the best at picking out the key info or data in these reports, however hard I try!
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 2:16pm
Dan
    Get the Peptest Check ..Reflux cough turns into something like COPD which means UR in deep trouble . I was trying to drop some weigh and turned RC for 3 weeks till I figured it out then back to less then normal eating.I also got a 5 yr pneumonia shot and a whooping cough shot .I was coughing 24/7 I'm sure they would love that on the bus.Rember all of this @ 70 is one thing but @ 30 it's a huge matter.
Work on Reflux I fixed mine U can fix Urs .
IP IP Logged
Dan_uk
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Dan_uk Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 2:27pm
Hi Jeff,

Ordered it just now! Yeah a bit scary- I still haven't heard of/found anyone on these forums in their 20's with IM. I've probably had it since early 20's anyway? My brother who's 35 has GM and that seems to be more the case for people who have it under 30. I found a report from about 5 or so years ago and not a single paticipsnt out of thousands had IM under 30. I know the futures not bright for me but just want to know realistically how high my risk is and the age I would be most likely to get it so I can go back to living for at least a few more decades!

Cheers again,

Dan

Edited by Dan_uk - 23†Apr†2016 at 2:29pm
IP IP Logged
Dan_uk
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Dan_uk Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 2:31pm
Also the coughing is pretty minimal most of the time, the more predominant issue is the croaky voice, not painful or anything but just odd I've had it for a few months now gradually getting worse! Maybe due to acid damage to vocal cords?

Edited by Dan_uk - 23†Apr†2016 at 2:32pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 2:37pm
Look her up Joan Rivers had croaky voice went under to look she die .That's what U can a fool doctor I watched a video on her case to much sedation to start.My sister thinks Igot mine in 20's but I think 40"s lots stress for a year .
Watch Ur tea and coffee drinking I try to keep the temp down.

U can help or fix this I bet most quit I didn't .

Edited by jcombs99 - 23†Apr†2016 at 2:44pm
IP IP Logged
Dan_uk
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Dan_uk Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 3:08pm
I thought she died of Cardiac arrest? Although I definitely don't know the whole story there! Did she also have Barrett's/AC?
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23†Apr†2016 at 3:15pm
To make long story short.
1) REFLUX like Urs made her voice ruff
2) HH no barretts should have tried TUMS for a few THEN went in , it wasn't that bad just looking .
3) I watched 60 min because I had it done 30x fool doctor then he PANICKED called 911 ..
IP IP Logged
Page  of 5 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version