Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Cost of private fundo? Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 4 Next >>
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Topic: Cost of private fundo?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
Anyone know what the current costs for this look like? I'm based in the North West and have frankly had enough of living with reflux to the point that I'm willing to raid the piggy bank. The newspaper articles seem to quote around £5k - is this still accurate?

Also does anyone still do transoral incisionless - is that even possible if I've got Barretts? It looked from an article I read like it was possible to get it done in Leeds, which is reasonably local for me.

Edited by itf56_2 - 20 Apr 2016 at 9:53pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:31pm
Been to Leeds very nice .Work on Ur drugs WHILE looking 4 a Fundo . Mine didn't work and I have 4cm HH .Like mine it may not work or if U throw up once !!!!!!!! .

CHEERs   

Edited by jcombs99 - 20 Apr 2016 at 10:36pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:50pm
£5K sounds about right. But nag your GP and consultant to consider this option on NHS.
Whether private or NHS, you'd still need to meet the criteria (re pressure at Lower Oesophageal Junction & peristaltic pressure) to qualify.

I wouldn't even consider Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication. All of the gastroplication methods tried seem to have failed long term and TIF looks as if it could be heading along similar lines.
This study Antireflux Transoral Incisionless Fundoplication Using EsophyX: 12-Month Results of a Prospective Multicenter Study (sponsored by Endogastric solutions, concluded "the TIF procedure using the EsophyX system with SerosaFuse fasteners was effective in improving quality of life" (which enabled it to get FDA approval) but it also revealed only "56% of patients were “cured” of their GERD based on the clinically significant reduction of their heartburn and complete cessation off PPIs." - and that's just in one year. Other trials showed poor longevity.

Read about other reflux reduction techniques available past and present here/
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 9:58am
Very frustrating meeting with GP this morning. She's very helpful but all she ended up doing was upping my PPI dose. She says that they don't do fundo on the NHS because they can't get funding and they're very uncommon. This doesn't tally with what I've read elsewhere.

She did however relent and refer me back to a gastroenterologist who will discuss with me. Am tempted to see private consultant who I know performs this surgery locally and be done with it.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:23am
Your GP is misinformed.
Unfortunately they do not know enough about this subject (but they cannot be expected to be experts in everything).
If you see her again, I suggest you print her a copy of this NICE option grid a copy of which may be downloaded from the foot of that Down With Acid page.

Your GP will increase your PPI because that's all they now about for controlling acid reflux - though it controls the acid more than the reflux.
However, fundoplication is available on NHS. They are not at all uncommon and are arguably cheaper than a lifetime PPI suggested as an alternative - though doing different jobs.

Your gastroenterologist will know better when you see him but the process can take a while.
If your gastroenterologist agrees, he has to write to the surgeon requesting he review your case. You would then eventually see him and he will ask for pH manometry and another endoscopy looking specifically at the structure of the OG junction. You could then be put on the waiting list. This can all take months.

The problem is the classification of the operation. It is not "Emergency" nor "Essential" so comes under the heading of "Elective" surgery which is at the bottom of the list.

I had both my initial Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication and my Collis-Nissen revision (when my wrap had come loose after a bout of Norovirus had caused violent retching) done under NHS and was very pleased with the care I received (although I did have to wait - and nag).
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 10:27am
The more I think about this the more I think I just throw money at the problem and make it go away :(
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 12:33pm
In case this helps anyone, I've been quoted ~£6000 for the procedure, including consultation, scope, manometry and surgery.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:14pm
Going private you can shop around. I personally wouldn't go private unless I was forced to. We have an excellent NHS system despite the government's efforts to destroy it and I paid into it all my working life - and didn't expect politicians to try and give it away to big business which will ultimately obviously cost us more as they need to make profits for their shareholders.
However, when a previous partner with Parkinson's needed a hip replacement, we did shop around to get her operation done privately as NHS couldn't do it quickly enough.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:22pm
    Don't throw money @ anything use WISDOM .U can see how good UR GP is not.They will have U in all the time for Ur $$$$.Take the upped dose for a while see what happens . Only ONE mistake in 8 years it's called FUNDO !!! I got mine in 3 weeks and did U ask the doctor how many he had done CORRECTLY !!!
I sure I'll be getting a REFUNDO some day when the drugs don't work .
CHEERs
IP IP Logged
itf56_2
Groupie
Groupie

Quote itf56_2 Replybullet Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by chrisrob

Going private you can shop around. I personally wouldn't go private unless I was forced to. We have an excellent NHS system despite the government's efforts to destroy it and I paid into it all my working life - and didn't expect politicians to try and give it away to big business which will ultimately obviously cost us more as they need to make profits for their shareholders.
However, when a previous partner with Parkinson's needed a hip replacement, we did shop around to get her operation done privately as NHS couldn't do it quickly enough.

I agree with your political position but my experience in recent years has been that we don't have an excellent NHS, at least not locally for my personal health issues (my liver and my barrett's). Four hour waits from my appointment time with consultant have not been unusual only to get a 5 minute perfunctory consultation with no progress.

A couple of times I've had complaints dismissed that later turned out to be genuine and needing treatment. As a patient I'm made to feel like an inconvenience by all concerned. Last time I had a scope I was basically told I could have it with no sedative or not at all.

In this case I'm motivated by the impending birth of my child, and the hope to have this over with if indeed I'm even a suitable candidate. I'm paying to accelerate the timeline, basically, rightly or wrongly.

In contrast, my wife who has been dealing with maternity services and early pregnancy units has had excellent treatment via the NHS.

Edited by itf56_2 - 26 Apr 2016 at 1:29pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 4 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version