Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Oxford asprin and ppi study,hi Chris, do you have Post Reply Post New Topic
teacher man

Online Status: Offline
Quote teacher man Replybullet Topic: Oxford asprin and ppi study,hi Chris, do you have
    Posted: 03áJaná2016 at 3:20pm
Hi Chris, do you have any info on the big study done out of Oxford university this may. It is a 10 year study on different levels of ppis taken with different levels of asprin. From one a day ppi and a baby asprin to two a day ppis and a full asprin and everything In between.
Clinical trials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00357682
It looks like it will be a very very interesting study. Do you know the university folks running it and is it funded by a drug comapnay or is it going to be an acceptable set of unbiased data. Just your opinion. I know you can't read the future. Your simply the smartest person I know with all this barretts stuff and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your commitment to the folks out here. Again thank you for being here and doing all that you do.
I should start something out here but don't quite have the smarts like you do. And barretts is kinda not even a known thing around here. Its like a ghost town and I'm the only one there. Til I come here and see all that you have done for Barrett patients and family. Happy new year Chris and to all the others. And to Jeff as well who is always ready to answer the questions spot on with out any hesitation.   Happy New Years all
[IMG]smileys/smiley2.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by teacher man - 03áJaná2016 at 3:22pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 03áJaná2016 at 5:28pm
Teach
    Update What's your next step re-scope or get a second opinion on slides ??

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 03áJaná2016 at 6:13pm
Hi Teach,

As you say, the AspECT trial (Aspirin, Esomeprazole Combined Therapy) has been on-going for a long time. Purely from memory (which isn't what it used to be) I believe it is scheduled to report in 2017 though there have been a few intermediate reports along the way.

It is "sponsored" by Astra Zeneca who are providing the PPIs - hence Esomeprazole rather than another PPI.
Interim results look positive.
I'm not expecting to find out more until the London Barrett's Symposium in April.

Some papers (not from this study but on similar lines) were produced in 2015:
Barrett's oesophagus: frequency and prediction of dysplasia and cancer. concluded, "Factors that may protect against the development of adenocarcinoma include a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and the use of proton pump inhibitors, aspirin/NSAIDs and statins."
Although this paper, NSAIDs, statins, low-dose aspirin and PPIs, and the risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma among patients with Barrett's oesophagus: a population-based case-control study. appeared to demonstrate the opposite, concluding, "Low-dose aspirin and PPIs did not significantly decrease the risk of OAC and HGD."
And this study Reduced Risk of Barrett's Esophagus in Statin Users: Case-Control Study and Meta-Analysis. found "Regular statin use was associated with a significantly lower incidence of Barrett's esophagus compared to the combined control groups. This effect was more marked in combined statin plus aspirin users"

There were also a number of studies published that recommended PPIs be prescribed alongside prolonged aspirin or NSAID scripts.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 03áJaná2016 at 6:26pm
Teach, I know you (like Jeff) is from the other side of the pond but whereabouts?
I don't know of any patient support groups in USA - though do know of the work of ECAN and ECAA but nothing specific to Barrett's.
You could ask Mindy Mintz Mordecai (ECAN) about patient support groups? But I think it would be great to have something specifically aimed "to reduce the number of deaths to oesophageal cancer through raising awareness of its predominant pre-cancerous lesion, Barrett's Oesophagus" as Barrett's Wessex and the other allied groups getting started in UK (eg. Barrett's Essex and I'm meeting in London next week to discuss the possibility of a Barrett's Kent. (With Sandra's doctor.) There already is a London group but under a different organisation and no specific name.
IP IP Logged
phil-uk
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil-uk Replybullet Posted: 07áJaná2016 at 11:23pm
Hi Teacherman,

There's an interesting Barretts chat room run in the US by John Hopkins Pathology Dept. Try here...

http://pds17.pathology.jhmi.edu/n.web?EP=N&FL=BEWEB_CHAT

It is unmoderated, so be selective, but some useful insights.

Might be a place to find out about other groups.

All the best, Phil
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 08áJaná2016 at 12:00am
Phil
That's good Phil you got the drift their insane so is the hospital for having a website like that .About 5 years ago I got their link removed from Barrx.com (halo machine makers)their head of medical agreed with me and removed it so far no link on their site.Just because 50 FOOLs say something doesn't mean it correct .

CHEERs
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version