<< Prev Page  of 2
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by jcombs99

P
    My Doctor told me the likely cause of Silent Reflux in adults is having lots of Reflux when a baby . To bad I can't ask my mother about that BUT I didn't feel anything after my last Halo . I think it burned some of the nerve ending away but better then barretts .

hi

has the HALO treatment eradicated your BE? Also, what were the circumstances for getting the treatment, was it privately?

something that has crossed my mind is that apparently silent reflux could be going on without the sufferer being aware....presummably regular endoscopys would still be needed just in case?
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:07pm
N
My HGD,LGD,Barretts is gone and my O is normal BUT mine will come back as in 4cm HH (need a refundo).Your doing a good job of research read Chris's book it's very good . My doctor's opinion which is mine 1 year scope on just barretts ,6 months on Lgd ,3 months on HGD ..He doesn't believe it will regress and LGD,HGD needs to be Haloed. He states by doing the scopes on just barretts @ 3 to 5 years there will be more cases of cancer which anyone with common sense would agree. It's all up to your ins or NHS what they will pay for.
What I did on the coffee (1cup),Booze with FOOD and common sense till you get this under control. I'm 60mg so I split it up I do ANYTHING to make them work for my life style

CHEERs

Edited by jcombs99 - 11 Dec 2015 at 5:17pm
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 5:10pm
In defence of PPIs - because they so often get a bad press.

PPIs are amongst the safest of drugs used by millions around the world for 25 years. But they must be used correctly and monitored by a doctor.
The advice is the lowest effective dose for the shortest requisite time.

For acid hyper-secretion alone or to permit the healing of a gastric ulcer, a course of two or three weeks may be sufficient. In America, they have been available over the counter for many years and been misused. Let's face it, how many of us read the small print on the instruction sheet inside a box of tablets?

When acid reflux sufferers have found their Tums insufficient, they may have thought the Nexium on the shelf that was being advertised on television may be better and take them in the same way as they did for their Tums. But PPIs are not instant acting antacids: they need to be taken pre-emptively at the same time each day (half an hour before breakfast is best).
Not finding them as good as they thought, some may have been tempted to increase the dose.
Research has shown that those most at risk of "side effects" are self-medicators. And why should they pay to see a doctor just because they hve found they need to keep taking them for longer than a few weeks?

"Side effects" of PPIs are mainly from induced hypochlorhydria (low stomach acid) because they are too go at their job.
This means essential minerals aren't leeched in sufficient quantity from foodstuffs and low levels of iron, magnesium, calcium etc are absorbed. This can result in anaemia and osteoporosis etc. Stomach acid also helps kill off bad bacteria so PPIs get blamed for infections like C-Difficile.
In order to counteract the over-usage in America, the FDA had to issue warnings about using PPIs thus propagating the fears that the drugs are harmful.
Add to that other scare stories occasioned by the tabloid press not understanding the inplications of research studies and you get headlines like: "Your antacids cause heart attacks!" The paper actually showed a correlation of data between the number of people with myocardial infarction and users of acid suppressants - which isn't actually surprising since the symptoms can be so similar. (My father died of a heart attack when I was a boy. He'd had acid reflux all his life and thought it wa indigestion again.) Correlation does not equal causation.

Other research has shown there may well be a chemo-protective effect from continuing PPIs which is why those of use with Barrett's are recommended to remain on them. (Of course it's impossible to prove such an effect and again figures may be just correlation rather than causation.)

But not everyone wishes to remain on PPIs all their lives and, although they may be good at reducing acid, they may do little to stop reflux. (For me, reflux was the worse problem so I opted for a fundoplication operation instead which fixed my hiatus hernia and incidentally meant I no longer needed to take the PPIs which had made me severely anaemic.)
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:07am
If you click on any poster's name at the top left of their
posting, you get to their information page.

Many here remain anonymous - I do not - a link to my www site is
there.

The book is at
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Books/DD/index.html
It's not specifically relevant to reflux - but my father did go
in detail to blood chemistry so it refers to body
acidity/alkalinity and the effects.
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 9:19am
> PPIs are amongst the safest of drugs used by millions around the
> world for 25 years. But they must be used correctly and monitored
> by a doctor. The advice is the lowest effective dose for the
> shortest requisite time.

I agree with Chris on this. But a word of warning.

PPIs affect the biliary system. The paper
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00464-005-0247-x
found that PPIs reduced gall bladder motility. Thus they would be
expected to suppress bile. However when experimenting with dosage,
I found that the first effect of a dose wearing off is that I
would taste bile in the refluxate. So inadequate dosing increases
bile reflux.

This of course explains why there is so much confusion amongst
professionals - some papers find PPIs reduce bile, some that it
increases bule. It can do both!

The other more serious affect I found was that on stopping PPIS
completely I suffered severe nocturnal bile reflux events,
intermittently, Some 5 or 6 serious events, the last some 90 days
after stopping PPIs.

This actually happened twice; once when I went down to 5mG doses
and once again when I finally stopped taking PPIs.
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 8:26pm
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and throw my two cents out there.
From my experience I believe out gut has a tremendous effect on how well the ppis will work and to a degree how severe the side effects are.
Bile comes up a lot. Py you said ppis can cause or relieve bile. I think that might be true. And it's how well are gut is functioning as to what happens next.
I know it's important for a newbie to get on ppis right away. But if they self admit that their diet has little to no daily fiber, tons of sugar, fat and white flower mixed with an over abundance of cow milk/ dairy then it is wise to correct these things before trying the ppi. At least give the gut a chance to normalize.
If not, what " might" occur is what happened with me. In the beginning, the ppis made my whole reflux worse. Caused throat issues and I believe made the bile worse.
It wasn't til I inadvertently started to heal my gut that the side effects from the ppis passed. That and reducing them......
There was a paper published on cancer drugs and why they work for some but not others......their study tried to point the finger at a bad gut vs good gut. In the lab it proved to be true. Now they are seriously looking at this in human trials.   
Fixing the gut should be the first priority.
How? Cut out all sugar. Bad gut feeds on sugar. Simple.   Not.
But must be done.   No more than 35 grams at most of "added" sugar.
2) up the fiber big time. If you can tolerate it. Start slowly. Make sure to use soluable and unsoluable fibers. (Prebiotin) is my favorite soluable fiber. Lots of good reading and data on their site. There was a study where they showed adding 10 grams of fiber per day decreased OC by 31 percent.
3) find a probiotic with bifidus bacteria. Try different ones if it isn't working. Buy Only from from the cold section at a store. Or make your own. But if you have bad gut you will need more strength. Ultimate Flora critical care 50 billion sold in the refrigerated section of the store. No fridge no probiotic.
Next, mushrooms and onions, leafy greens, berries, turmeric root ect....start eating the Andrew Weil diet book. Basically a Mediterranean diet.    Great book and strategy.
It took me years to get the gut in order. But i didn't give up sugar til recently. That's where I've seen most bennifit when added to the other strategies I mentioned. There was a time when plain old water burned my esaphagus. That was when my gut was horrible and I was on ppis for the first time. Water didn't burn before I was on ppis but I had horrible heartburn.
I'm still learning and this is only "my" theory.   But I wish I had this knowledge when I started.   
Interstingly, my gut really turned the corner with the sugar gone. Before I was doing the rest and happy with the results but it was the addition of eliminating most added sugar that really did the trick. Not to jinx myself but my wife, kids, and co workers have had awful colds and flu. For months!   I haven't had anything close to a cold this year. And I am surrounded by runny noses and coughs.   I believe it is my gut. It's improved my Imune system. Ps. I also like bone broth. Drink it like tea. First thing you will notice is your hair and skin will look better. It is said to "resurrect the dead". start slowly.
Just my two cents on the whole bile subject.   It simply comes down to how well the gut is functioning. .happy days all

Edited by teacher man - 12 Dec 2015 at 8:48pm
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 1:36pm
thank you teacherman, all very interesting stuff. i will look into the fibre thing and getting rid of the sugar. my diet has certainly improved since being diagnosed, purely because it makes you think about your diet. i suspect most of us amble along in ignorant bliss as to what we're putting into our bodies until we get a wake up call.

i've found trying to stick to a more alkaline diet has already helped me get more informed about what is in foods we eat regularly...i've not looked into sugars but i'm sure it's in most things, all probably very tasty too!

never heard of bone broth before, will look into that one.

thanks again for the helpful feedback, is good to know there are others out there trying to find ways of best dealing with this issue.
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 2
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version