Page  of 2 Next >>
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote NickH Replybullet Topic: Hiatal Hernia Massage
    Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:11pm
Dear All

Does anyone have any info regarding massage to correct a hiatal hernia?

I've found some stuff on the internet but it's all American based practitioners. I've asked a handful of chiropractors in my area and they've all either seemed clueless about it or just say they don't carry out that type of treatment.

My logic tells me that alleviating the source of the acid in the first place (besides being on medication for the rest of my life) would seem the sensible thing to do. From what I've read, having an op brings its own hazards which is why I was interested to investigate the massage technique.

thanks

Nick
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:14pm
The massage technique works for some but the hiatus is obviously loose enough to permit reherniation.
I guess some chiropracters don't mind, it means they can continue retreating.
The only permanent way is to have the hernia repaired - which is done as part of a fundoplication operation.
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:29pm
Thanks Chris, i see from other posts that you've had the op done so will read back over older posts to get your experience
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 2:33pm
You can read my blog of my fundoplication on my personal website here.

It was the best thing I ever did. I still have my Barrett's but not the reflux nor need for medication.
As you will see, my wrap came loose - following 5 hours violent retching due to norovirus and I had it repaired by Collis-Nissen revision early in 2014 - and cycled over the Andes 6 months later.
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 4:51pm
es anyone have any info regarding massage to correct a hiatal hernia?

Yes. I read about this and saw a chiropractor. I think this manipulation is a myth! If the phrenoesophareal ligament is stretched - then it is stretched. Manipulation can do nothing!

However the chiropractor did notice that my diaphragm was tensed - presumably as a reaction to the lifelong discomfort I have had from occasional reflux. So she did spinal manipulation to relax it. I suspect that this is one of the changes I made that enable me to live comfortably with the reflux, without the severe upsetting of the hormonal system that results from taking PPIs.

I was on PPIs for nearly 4 years. They caused bile reflux - a known problem with PPIs, though few doctors will admit it!

I stopped taking PPIs in April 2012 and would not go back on them.
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 5:21pm
that was my concern, the massage option does sound too good to be true!

i've been on PPI's for about 10 years and luckily no side effects that i'm aware of. i know the pills do a great job in keeping the acid at bay but i just don't feel comfortable in being on medication long term.

how did you manage to find a chiropractor that could carry out the procedure you mentioned?

IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 10 Dec 2015 at 11:54pm
N
   My friend is a retired Chiropractor who has a HH and Haloed his barretts. He said in a word " NO ' this came up like 3 years ago but if you want to try go ahead I'm always open to anything.
Fundo may work one day or 25 years try different drugs first like I have IF it's not working.

CHEERs

Jeff

Edited by jcombs99 - 10 Dec 2015 at 11:58pm
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 12:56pm
> that was my concern, the massage option does sound too good to be
> true!

Probably quite correct! However the manipulation to relax the diaphragm may well be extremely useful.

> i've been on PPI's for about 10 years and luckily no side effects
> that i'm aware of. i know the pills do a great job in keeping the
> acid at bay but i just don't feel comfortable in being on
> medication long term.

I don't post here often as my opinions differ greatly from standard advice. The risks of long-term medication may be small - but they are there! If you can contro your reflux with lifestyle modification, that surely is the healthy option!

I found that PPIs caused me bile reflux (as a dose's effects wore off). Bile in the stomach is known to be very dangerous. It is also known that PPIs have a bad effect on the gall bladder and biliary system.

But PPIs are so useful in preventing acid reflux - it seems that no doctor wants to upset the apple cart by investigating their adverse effects.

The papers I have found convince me that my health is best preserved by not using medications that have such a major adverse effect on the digestive hormonal system. And possibly other organs, too.

> how did you manage to find a chiropractor that could carry out the
> procedure you mentioned?

Yes. She is a well though of professional, who clearly believes in what she does. However she was doubtful that manipulation would do anything! She has done many successful manipulations on babies.

However my niece is a doctor who has done paediatrics and now trains junior doctors: reflux in babies is common, she says, and almost invariably cures itself. So, she says, such manipulation is not useful and the chiropractor is fooling herself!

My father was a consultant surgeon and his advice was to stay away from people like himself! Once you get labelled as 'sick' you are part of the medical system. Good health is a state of mind! You can read my father's book on my www site. It's quite interesting as it predates modern medicine!

I am lucky, for though I have has lifetime reflux, it caused little discomfort so is easily managed with standard antacids.

I also believe that Barrett's oesophagus is no illness. Cats, dogs, pigs, rats etc.can develop it, so it's clearly nothing new in evolution. Obesity is nothing new either, though admittedly more common! Tight corsetting must have caused much reflux. So the human race has been living with reflux and Barrett's for eons. The only thing that has changed is the diagnosis, the medication with PPIs and the incidence of adenocarcinoma - which has mirrored the ue of PPIs!

Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 2:10pm
P
    My Doctor told me the likely cause of Silent Reflux in adults is having lots of Reflux when a baby . To bad I can't ask my mother about that BUT I didn't feel anything after my last Halo . I think it burned some of the nerve ending away but better then barretts .
IP IP Logged
NickH
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote NickH Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 4:42pm
i've not looked up possible long term side effects of taking PPI's, partly because the internet has the ability to scare the life out of you once you start digging and also because i feel i've got plenty to think about with the BE.

i have tried to be proactive instead of just waiting for my next endoscopy. When diagnosed the Doctor simply said no more caffeine and take medication for the rest of your life! i've had to do my own research as even the GP and consultants i've seen so far don't seem overly clued up on the situation, especially on how best to alter life style.

i've had conflicting advice when it comes to diet so i've used my own common sense and tried to listen to what my body is telling me. i've recently been trying to stick to a more alkaleine diet and i've definately noticed a difference.. i used to regularly get aching or pain in my upper stomach, especially when stressed at work. since modifying my diet this pain has virtually disappeared.

i agree that state of mind is important as well. initially i was quite stressed and worried when first diagnosed but as time goes on i've tried to educate myself more and am starting to accept that we may be the lucky ones. We get to monitor our condition as opposed to the many who aren't even aware of the problem, until for the few when it's too late.

this site has proved very helpful with lots of great info and advice from fellow suffers, so thank you to those that manage this site and those that contribute, very much appreciated.

i think i will still investigate the massage route, as you say, it may help to relax my diaphram. If it helps in any way then that's a good thing, plus it helps the mind stay positive when you feel you're actually doing something constructive.

what was the site of your father's book by the way?

thanks again for the response, it's all relevant stuff to me.

nick
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version