Support Forum
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Support Forum
Message Icon Topic: New lease of life since having fundo Post Reply Post New Topic
aikihook
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote aikihook Replybullet Topic: New lease of life since having fundo
    Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 5:35pm
Hi,
I just thought I would update on my operation some 30 months ago.

Performed by Jamie Kelly back in May 2013 - I had 360 fund wrap and repair to 5cm hiatus hernia. The 2yr follow-up check back in June this year showed that everything was healed and the wrap intact, my Barretts was stable and slightly receded.

I consider the operation was a complete success and has cured my acid reflux; I only rarely now get heart burn now. I do not think about diet, I eat anything and everything and neither worry about avoiding heartburn triggers like: coffee, chocolate, mince meat, juices etc - although I do not over indulge. I have also discovered a pleasant new taste/thirst for red wine, which I used to avoid as this gave me instant burn.

I sometimes get slight touch of shoulder pain, I believe inferred from my diaphragm after eating a bit too quickly. Swallowing, burping and the usual functions are normal - even regurgitation, vomiting/sickness (although I like to avoid this) on occasion I have had a little too much alcohol ;-)

My lifestyle is back to normal - sports, running, cycling and my Aikido martial arts, although I do not compete any more; however on the mat I still mix it full on during the randori throw about. It used to be that I could not eat or drink anything 3 hours prior to training in the gym or the dojo.

Now, I'm 51 years of age and not going to be slowing down any time soon!

Jamie

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 6:59pm
Great news, Jamie.

Glad you're doing well. And this will give fresh hope to anyone else considering the op.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version