Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: 10 g/d increment in dietary fiber intake is assoc Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
teacher man

Online Status: Offline
Quote teacher man Replybullet Topic: 10 g/d increment in dietary fiber intake is assoc
    Posted: 24 Oct 2015 at 9:02pm
10 g/d increment of dietary fiber intake was associated with a 31%reduction in baretts esaphagus and esaphagus cancer risk
Google title for abstract.   
16,ooo people. Oct 2015.
Reflects my personal success with LOTS of fiber and better health.
My fiber intake back in the days was a joke. How much fiber is in pizza and ice cream anyway.      Lol
IP IP Logged
phil-uk
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil-uk Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 2:50pm
Thanks teacher man. Here's a link,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26462851

This is a meta-analysis of previous studies, hence the large cohort involved.

I also have had improved symptoms due to modification of diet and now eat very little processed and convenience foods.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 3:48pm
Teacher
They know all about EC because you die from that and usually VERY quickly how do they know about having barrtts did all 16K have a scope ?
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:54pm
Hi Jeff, I'm not sure. But the data jives with my own personal success with fiber.    So I like the data. But since they quote barretts I'm sure they would check for it.   Right? But? Anyway, I've preached fiber due to my own success with it.   Now the repor helps me keep motivated in a healthy way.
. i am sure, that when I eat high fiberous foods and stay away from most anything that comes pre packaged I feel better.    
My sugar is nearly out. At least added sugar.   
I have changed from flaxseed meal. Which is pre ground and now grind my own flaxseeds which I keep in my freezer. Fats can go rancid.   The fiber in flaxseeds is a wonderful wonderful component of my feel good food lifestyle.   
Although, too much fiber "might" be bad so I don't go over board. But it's up there. At least compared to my old lifestyle.   Phil, I agree. I feel so much better and stay away from all that crap. I used to love that stuff but things have changed. It took years but it's finally coming together.
Lots of fiber. Insolvable and soluable . Plus drink fair amount of water for the extra fiber.
Lots of omega 3 fats
No to little add sugar
Meat only once every 10 days or so
Fish 2-3 times per week
Lots of leafy greens and lots of berries, seeds, and avacado in my smoothies
Needs: need ways to include beans into my diet and califlower.
Home made probiotics. I took a class on making Kiefer from coconuts and how to make sour kraut . Totally misspelled it. Sorry.
I haven't made them yet. I just took the class. This weekend.
I'm actually enjoying this new found freedom with healthy foods and I've lost my cravings for sugar and carbs.   Knock on wood and hope it lasts.

Edited by teacher man - 29 Oct 2015 at 6:04pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 5:56pm
TEACH
Reread my post HOW do they know barretts is down 31% ?????????
IP IP Logged
phil-uk
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil-uk Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:35pm
Hi Jeff, re 'How'.

It's a good question.

Unfortunately we do not have access to the full article, so do not have the detail, but it is concluded with the suggestion that this phenomenon is worthy of further study.

It sounds to me like an increase in fibre intake and wholesome, home cooked food is likely to be a good thing.

Phil
IP IP Logged
phil-uk
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil-uk Replybullet Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 10:40pm
teacher man,

we often make a bake of cauliflower and broccoli cheese, that we serve with baked beans and a fried egg. It's a good wholesome meal, cheap too!

Phil
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:18pm
On the subject of fiber, see
http://www.Torrens.org.uk/FFF/Recipes/Salads.html
for some much more intersting salads. They need not be boring!
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:27pm
Sounds delicious Phil. Healthy too.
Chris should make another link for great healthy recipes that members like and can share. With the understanding that reflux can happen with any food for the general public. And It would be a fun link. Obviously not medical. But most likely very medicinal. The barretts foodies link.
Have a great day everyone.    

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:17pm
I did read the abstract of this paper published a few weeks ago. It was a meta-analysis of pooled data using PubMed and Embase review. "A total of 15 studies involving 16,885 subjects were included in the meta-analysis."

I don't know how the derived their finding that 10g/day reduced Barrett's risk by 31%. I don't have a subscription to Taylor & Francis who published it in Critical Reviews in Food Sciences & Nutrition and am not prepared to pay £200 for the issue in which this appears (nor even the £30 just for this article)!

I would be sceptical if it were considered this applied to everyone as I know some (particularly amongst those with achalasia) cannot tolerate some fibre. But I'm all for a healthy diet.

You probably know Barrett's Wessex produced a "Cool Food cookbook" available by clicking on this link or ordered as a printed copy from this page of the BOC website.
It is still very popular and we have discussed a second volume but we need contributors.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version