Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Down With Acid Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
chrisrob

Online Status: Offline
Quote chrisrob Replybullet Topic: Down With Acid
    Posted: 18 Apr 2015 at 4:55pm
Many will know I have been working on ideas for a comprehensive book covering everything any of our members and enquirers wish to know about Acid Reflux.

Provisionally entitled "Down with Acid", many of the component parts are already available on Barrett's Wessex's website but it keeps growing and is taking far longer than originally envisaged.

The idea is it will be free to download (unlike many current texts, some of which are factually incorrect and seem to be sold by charlatans and snake oil salesmen).
(Eventually printed copies are also envisaged which may have to carry a charge to cover production costs.)

The present contents list is shown below (either already written or in course of preparation - though many diagrams are still reguired).
In the meantime, I have been reviewing all the freely downloadable literature I can find but there are probably (free) publications of which I am unaware. Before I re-invent the wheel, if you know of any I may have missed, or if you think of something I should be covering but not already on my list, please let me know.

Chris (chairman@BarrettsWessex.org.uk)

Down with Acid contents:

(Looking at the problems that may be caused by Acid, Bile and reflux.)

Acid:
Too much
Too little
“Acid stomach”
Ulcers
H-Pylori
Bacteria
Viatmins
Minerals
“Natural” remedies
Medicines

Bile:
Cholesterol
Stones

Reflux:
Heartburn
GORD
Extra-oesophageal reflux (LPR / “silent” reflux)
“Natural” remedies
Medication
Reflux reduction techniques - surgery and devices:
fundoplication (variations)
LINX, TIF, Stretta, Endostim, MUSE, Enteryx, Esophyx, Gatekeeper, Angelchik, Reza Band, etc.

Combinations and complications:
Oesophagitis
Barrett's Oesophagus
Oesophageal cancer
Eosinophilic esophagitis
Induced Hypochlorhydria
Small Intestinal Fungal/Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO/SIFO)
Bloating, IBS

Treatments:
Oesophagectomy
Radio Frequency Ablation
Cryo Ablation
Photo Dynamic Therapy
etc

Other – related conditions / complications, side effects etc:
Otorhinolaryngological (ENT), including:
Pneumonia
Bronchiectasis
etc

Gastric Dumping syndrome
IP IP Logged
Warwick
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Warwick Replybullet Posted: 19 Apr 2015 at 12:59pm
Sounds great Chris. Good luck with it!
IP IP Logged
DanJ
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DanJ Replybullet Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 5:11pm
I have no expertise to add Chris , but excellent work , all the best with the book
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 10:43am
Work in progress and progress is slower than I'd hoped - particularly when I lost 3 hours of work.

I shall be posting bits on my own website whilst in preparation if anyone wishes to see, here.
IP IP Logged
Binz
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Binz Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:35pm
looks pretty extensive. The only thing I didn't see there was a section on diet; covering what foods are good/bad for acid and bile, and maybe also the benefits of maintaining a slim belly.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:59pm
Thanks for the feedback, Binz.
Diet is being covered under "natural remedies" for acid suppression. It won't, however, be a list of "good" foods and "bad" foods since we are all different and react to ffods differently. It will, however have mention of the myths - eg, milk (which isn't actually good for acid), curries etc (which aren't actually bad for acid) and alkaline water (which has absolutely no beneficial effect). But any references I do make to these will be supported by published peer-reviewed papers linked to in the appendix.

And body weight etc is also being covered under "natural remedies" for reflux.

I shall probably have to change the chapter titles and paragraph headings.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 05 May 2015 at 7:32pm
This project is growing like Topsy.

And I hadn't realised how time consuming it is! (And am particularly busy at the moment). Some chapters are written (in an initial stage that will require editing). Much of the contents is still inside my head. There;s still more research to do.

However, I've realised it will need it's own website so I've set one up specifically, here: www.DownWithAcid.org.uk
As the book progresses, the pages linked on the website, will grow. Check back frequently to see how it's progressing.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 26 Jul 2015 at 6:23pm
For those who don't know why I am spending so much time attempting to write a book and getting the facts right, this radio play (available only until the end of the month, illustrates it exactly: "Snake Oil". (Sorry, it's BBC and may only be available in UK.)

It follows a man diagnosed with cancer desperate to find a cure, searching on-line and being seduced by the claims of cancer cures. Well worth the 45 minutes of listening time.

Meanwhile the alpha copy of the first half of the book is available for download at the foot of the page this link takes you to.
Remember, it is sill a very raw first edit - and some changes have already been made since the pdf file was uploaded.

I presently have a few gastroenterologists etc reviewing it. It has been well received by the other charities fighting oesophageal cancer under the Action Against Heartburn banner but I would appreciate any feedback from anyone especially regarding the language used.
IP IP Logged
phil-uk
Groupie
Groupie

Quote phil-uk Replybullet Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 9:47pm
Hi Chris, I just read your book over the last two days. It's really concise and a fantastic reference for anyone with GORD [GERD] and its complications.

This is my first post here at BW and I hope to be able to contribute more in the future.

Regards
Phil
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 10:23pm
Hi Phil,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you like the book. There's probably about 30 pages still to come. (I'm presently double checking all the references.)
I hope to have it completed in the next 4 - 6 weeks. It will always be free to download from the website and I'm hoping it will cost no more than £5 (plus postage) for printed copies. (ie production cost only).

I felt it was time a lay person with personal experience of most of the problems provided a factual book FREE since there are so many snake oil salesmen selling dubious information and their own personal views that are unsubstantiated by research evidence.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have.
Cheers
Chris
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version