Message Icon Topic: Update Post Reply Post New Topic
LoraB
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote LoraB Replybullet Topic: Update
    Posted: 10áJulá2014 at 6:41pm
Hi everyone.

I haven't posted for a while but I do look at the site regularly.

Well, I am scheduled to have my Fundo next Thursday.They will also repair the hernia. I have to be at the hospital by 7am. Depending upon where I am on the list I could have a 6 hour wait.

At my pre-op day last week they mentioned that I would need some fortified drinks for the 2 weeks after the op'. I asked at my GP surgery, they dispense as we live in a small village. Anyway, the dispenser said I would get them from the hospital, not sure if this is right.

I am starting to get the collywobbles a bit, okay..a lot. Any tips or advice from those that have had the procedure gratefully received.

Lora
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 10áJulá2014 at 9:16pm
LB
   Go to ASDA and buy some and return them if need be to be on the Safe side ..I was messed up for a few days and followed Cleveland Clinic protocol for a Nissan Fundo to the LETTER .

Good Luck
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 11áJulá2014 at 10:07am
Hi Lora,

Wishing you all the best for next week. Hope it goes well.
I had my fundo 6 years ago and a fundo repair less than 3 months ago.

I didn't need or use fortified drinks but had to have a "sloppy diet" - soups and purÚes. After my first fundo, they gave me porridge for breakfast the next morning.

However, I have lost a lot of weight. A stone and a half after the first fundo and a couple of stone this time. (But I am now a healthier weight.) Of course, if you are of low body weight already, you may need prescribed fortified drinks to ensure your body mass doesn't get too low.

After the recent repair, I was on soups for a couple of weeks and now eating anything but in very small quantities, slowly and chewed well. I do get quite nauseous after food and need metoclopramide (prescription only anti-emetic) to help move the food from my stomach. I'm sure this is only temporary whilst my internal architecture readjusts. I didn't experience it post first fundo but have heard of others who have said it can last for up to a year! BUT in the long term, from my previous experience, the fundo is definitely worth it.

And I hope you don't have my experiences regarding waiting and lack of beds.
For my first fundo, after waiting around for hours, I was sent home as they hadn't a bed. When I had the op a couple of weeks later, I was in recovery for 4 hours awaiting a bed. And I was discharged the next day.
For my repair surgery, I was the first on the list. (But they slipped a simple emergency stent procedure in before me.) However, this time I was left in recovery for 8 hours before they could find me a bed on a ward. (This time they kept me in 2 days. I did feel pretty rough the next day but was walking about eager to be discharged the second day.)
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 11áJulá2014 at 12:44pm
L
   If your more CAREFUL then your doctor how can you go wrong and you REALLY don't want to do this again.

FUNDO Jeff
IP IP Logged
LoraB
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LoraB Replybullet Posted: 11áJulá2014 at 6:54pm
Thanks for the replies.

I am not overweight and couldn't afford to drop a stone so that may be why they advised the drinks. We shall see.

How long was it before you were able to drive?
Also,when I saw the Consultant in March he was most insistent that I would not be able to bend or lift anything for some time. How long was it before you were back to normal? I don't want to do any damage.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 12áJulá2014 at 7:54am
Driving: After my first fundo I was told to wait until I knew I could do an emergency stop without pain. It was about two to three weeks. After the repair, I was told to wait a couple of weeks - and I was driving in just two weeks.
But I do very little driving nowadays and more cycling. I asked whether I should wait 6 weeks before cycling but was told "probably 3 or 4 weeks" but to start with gentle level cycling rather than leaning forward over the handlebars racing or struggling up hills.
I started slowly walking round the block each day to build up the muscles, increasing the length and pace as I felt better able.
(I did receive a parcel delivery within the first fortnight that was much heavier than I'd expected - the courier just passed it into my hands but I gently lowered it to the table by bending my knees rather than my torso and felt I hadn't strained any of the internal joins.)

I'd say take your time but do get some exercise. It will probably be about 6 weeks before you're pulling the sheets out of the washing machine [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />

Edited by chrisrob - 12áJulá2014 at 7:55am
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 12áJulá2014 at 1:48pm
l
Take the pain pills they give you and kind of roll out of bed for a while . If you feel pain STOP remember a lot of time and money went into this .Stay away from Cruises and Airports and the tube just for the rest of your life so you don't catch the Noro viruses..   

Chris threw up and wrecked his by that and mine was already mucked up before so it didn't matter..

CHEERS

Edited by jcombs99 - 12áJulá2014 at 1:51pm
IP IP Logged
LoraB
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote LoraB Replybullet Posted: 12áJulá2014 at 6:40pm
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't cycle but do quite a bit of walking with an organized group. I have to drive to different meeting points which are 6-10 miles away from me. So I will see how I go.

I have enlisted help for the garden and I can shop on-line so hope I'm sorted.

The comment about cruises and airports made me smile. Firstly, you couldn't pay me to go on a cruise. Secondly, I don't fly. Thirdly, I go on the tube once a year, if that. But seriously, I do take your point. Keeping away from bugs is a priority.

I will let you know how it goes.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version