General
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :General
Message Icon Topic: Coming off PPIs due to side effects Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 6 Next >>
MrJealousy
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote MrJealousy Replybullet Topic: Coming off PPIs due to side effects
    Posted: 01áJulá2014 at 6:52pm
Ive been taking PPIs for over 22 years. I started in 1992 with 10mg omeprazole, ive had 4 scopes 2 h.Pylori +ve tests and 1 -ve 2 lots of triple therapy. 1 fundoplication that lasted just under 2 years. Then on to 20mg omeprazole. 8 years ago omeprazole slowly stopped working, 20mg up to 40mg then up to 60mg. Lansoprazole for 2 weeks, didnt work at all. Then I was but on nexium 40mg, worked really well, no symptoms, great. 1 year later, bradycardia with taccycardic atrial arrthymias. Then after 2 years more abnormal kidney function tests and high blood pressure.
Other side effects caused me to see Gastroentologist, result is no more PPIs. Ive been off them now for 64 days. Ive just been using Ranitadine, gavison and trebor extra strong mints. My gastroentologist said that of my scope I need to first address the ulceration in my esophagus. So to take up to 300mg 4 times aday, untill I'm symptom free. This dose didnt work, so im currently trying 150mg every 3 hours which is difficult but seems to be the best.
Any one have any thoughts or advice?

Edited by MrJealousy - 02áJulá2014 at 12:00am
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 01áJulá2014 at 7:30pm
Mr. J
   Sounds like your in deep like Chris was and I'll be going there someday too.
How about a Refundo like Chris just had OR try more PPI's like omeprazole they reset themselves if you haven't been on them foe 60 days or so..
Had ulcers when they found my HGD both can turn to Cancer as we both know ..
Liquid diet maybe ...

Bad fundo TOO.

HGD Jeff

Edited by jcombs99 - 01áJulá2014 at 7:36pm
IP IP Logged
MrJealousy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrJealousy Replybullet Posted: 01áJulá2014 at 7:54pm
I really dont want to go back on PPIs. Im waiting for a referral to the local surgeon to see what he thinks. Apparently hes very good, Mr Saj Wajed, so I'm hoping for a redo, like chris. If I have to go back on them in the short term then so be it, but im waiting to see if my other side effects go first
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 01áJulá2014 at 8:04pm
Ask for a referral to see Chris's doctor you know he did a good Refundo. I think it will be up to you and you have lots of time to solve this always change drugs and doses slowly (AGI)over a 14 day time maybe I went wrong by listening to my doctor and not using common sense ..
IP IP Logged
MrJealousy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrJealousy Replybullet Posted: 17áJulá2014 at 12:11pm
Day 80, PPI free, im currently taking ranitadine 150mg every 2 hours but still not symptom free. Every mouth full I swallow hurts on the way into my stomach. But I think I've found a way of being heart burn free......dont eat anything!....
I had blood taken yesterday to test my creatinine levels. If its back to normal then its likely to have been the esomeprazole, if not then it could be the flecanide, for arrhythmia, so im cutting this to 1 50mg a day to see what happens.
Im still waiting to hear if I have a consultation with the surgeon about my redo. But not sure how much longer I can hold out. I may see my doc and ask if he can prescribe me 10mg omeprazole to try and be symptom free. But I'll probably end up where I started.
IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 18áJulá2014 at 10:46am
Mr Jealousy:

Have you tried conventional antacids such as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), calcium carbonate (chalk), magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) and magnesium carbonate?

All 4 are ingredients of the common over-the-counter antacids (such as Bisodol) and are almost without any side-effects.

SodiBicarb gives pretty instantaneous neutralisation of acid but releases carbon dioxide. It has been used as an antacid since victorian times.

Calcium carbonate is slow-acting. Used as an antacid longer even than SodiBicarb and even some animals have been found to eat chalk!

These two are both in Gaviscon and its copies.
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
MrJealousy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrJealousy Replybullet Posted: 18áJulá2014 at 11:05am
Ive tried all of those, but the relief doesn't last. I actually tried apple cider vinegar yesterday and to my surprise it worked. Ive only taken 2 x 150mg of ranitadine in the past 24 hours.
I took 2 desert spoons a ACV and diluted it with water in a tumbler and knocked it back and chased it with abit more water. Every time I felt the burn and it worked for several hours. Seems counterintuitive but hey if it works. It will be difficult whilst im out and about, so I'll see how I get on.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 18áJulá2014 at 11:37am
Mr J
    How large is your H hernia mine is 3 or 4 cm depending on my weight.When it's that HUGE my Doc told me there's not much you can do with bad plumping.   
IP IP Logged
MrJealousy
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrJealousy Replybullet Posted: 18áJulá2014 at 12:04pm
My HH is 3cm at the time of endoscopy, but it was the first time its been spotted out of 5 attempts. So its a sliding or transient Hyatus Hernia. I thought that a Fundopilcation can cure "bad plumbing".
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 18áJulá2014 at 12:09pm
Fundo returns the LOS to normal IF done right and if you don't throw up like Chris did.. I had a Barium x-ray done that FOOL I mean doctor told me I had no HH my GI Doc said I have been looking at that thing for a year you GOT ONE !!! Sounds like you got the same thing .

Edited by jcombs99 - 18áJulá2014 at 12:13pm
IP IP Logged
Page  of 6 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version