Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Barrett's, Hiatus Hernia and Gallbladder Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev Page  of 3
Pyrrhonist

Online Status: Offline
Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 29 May 2014 at 12:41pm
MrJealousy

I've been looking at the pages you gave. It seems that proton pumps are relatively common throughout the body. No reason why they should not be - once a cell has evolved, it can be used anywhere.

But in chemistry, you can't "pump a proton" without effectively pumping an electron to balance it. The electochemical difference between Na+ and K+ must go somewhere! There is a supply of bicarbonate ions (HCO3-) from the pancreas, used to neutralise the stomach acid. Bicarbonate ions are also present in the saliva and oesophageal mucosa.

So it looks like there are many places where these pumps exist in balance to maintain the correct pH.

The amazing thing about all this is that PPIs have so few side effects! If they kill Prpton pumps in the stomach, they must have the same effect on the other proton pumpps.

This is all quite interesting: my father was a surgeon who did a lot of colloidal microscopy work on blood and other fluids and he wrote a book on Dental Diseases - much of which was concerned with correct pH balance in the body. The book was never properly published - it had been printed and the printer's stock was bombed in the war, destroying the lot.

I have a copy and have been transcribing it!
www.torrens.org.uk/Books/DD/index.html
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
Yaya
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Yaya Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:11pm
Hi Bob
I m the mother of a 19 years old daughter who had been diagnosed with 1 cm of barrett no dysplasic and a small hernia hiatal!
We are living in USA and would like to eradicate the barrett! By any chance do you know a good surgeon to do it?
Thank you so much for your understanding and help.
Have a great day
Yaya
IP IP Logged
Yaya
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Yaya Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by bobgil

As some people will know, I had a private halo for removal of non-dysplasic barrett's. However, it was also found that my gallbladder simply didn't work, probably due to long term use of PPI's. I can control it with a strict, non-fat diet and only rarely get any pain. When I spoke to my consultant, (whom I trust), he was undecided over the benefits of taking it out, because it may make trhe reflux problem worse. At present,I dont suffer any reflux and was barrett's free, at the last scope. So in my case, is it better to not have the gallbladder removed.

Newbie Plus

Online Status: Online
Quote Yaya Replybullet Posted: Today at 12:11pm
Hi Bob
I m the mother of a 19 years old daughter who had been diagnosed with 1 cm of barrett no dysplasic and a small hernia hiatal!
We are living in USA and would like to eradicate the barrett! By any chance do you know a good surgeon to do it?
Thank you so much for your understanding and help.
Have a great day
Yaya
IP IP Logged
<< Prev Page  of 3
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version