Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Another endoscopy.... Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
teacher man

Online Status: Offline
Quote teacher man Replybullet Topic: Another endoscopy....
    Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:00pm
Hi all, I am back again. I had to step away from these discussion sites to ease my anxiety. It worked and things have improved......I guess.
In august I cut my meds to one 40 mg per day. Was taking two and there was a few months I took three a day. It turns out my throat got instantly better when I switched to one a day. All my complaints went away just like that. In an instant,
However, I increased my veggies and I think I had a gas explosion or something rip my upper tummy to pieces. This actually occurred. Few dys before I cut my dose. It was a new feeling as I never ever rely had stomache issues. Just heartburn that caused throat pain.
Long stores short I have had pain in my zyphoid process area for a few months. It is much better than it was. I emailed my doc t the time and he Sid to tke Gaviscon and not stress myself out. So I did. I stopped stressing and my symptoms are better thn they were .
But since I get dily twinges or sharp pains in my zyphoid area I decided I would Email my doc again. He replied he would like me to schedule bother endoscopy. So I will probably have one this week or next.
Has anyone had zyphoid process pain. Could it be the ablation area? Over all I am much better than when I was on two ppi's a day but now I have upper tummy issues. Any advice.
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 14 Oct 2013 at 9:03pm
I think it might be an ulcer??? Or it could have been a hernia? Or it's just zyphoid process pain. I have lost a lot of weight in the last year.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:55am
Hi again Teacher Man. Welcome back.

Considering your history, the origin of the pain felt in the area of your xiphoid process, is most probably acid reflux. It may be a rebound from having reduced your PPIs, in which case it should reduce, or it could be you still need a little more assistance to reduce the acid?

I can fully sympathise that you may not wish to increase PPIs again. You could, perhaps, add an H2RA (eg ranitidine)? Take your PPIs in the morning and the H2RA at night. Or supplement your PPIs with Gaviscon as required and continue with all measures to reduce acid production (including stress management).

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 15 Oct 2013 at 8:46pm
Thanks chris
IP IP Logged
teacher man

Quote teacher man Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 12:57am
Hi Chris, thought I would mention that the pain is very quick. It's a poking pain. Might last a few seconds to a few minutes.
I've started to eat as close as I can to the paleo diet. About 70 maybe 80 percent.   I blend kale, cucumber , spinach,a frozen banana ans add some spiralena to some apple juice. Plus, I try to juice a bunch of greens in the afternoon. I have gained peace knowing I am trying my best and getting all of my nutrients. I have had to cut back to see if this stops the pain or acid reflux.
I have an endoscopy next Thursday. This will be my second since my RFA ablation last spring.
I think my doc is being pro active and everything is ok. I plan on asking for another ph study after this endoscopy. Test my acids on one ppi vs two. On two my acid levels were very low. So to say.
IP IP Logged
Guests

Quote Guests Replybullet Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 1:05pm
> I plan on asking for another ph study after this endoscopy.
> Test my acids on one ppi vs two. On two my acid levels were very low.say.

Ask if they can also test the presence of bile.

I find strong indication that many of the troubles remaining for those on PPIs are due to bile, not to acid.

The other digestive juice that may be worth googling is Pepsin. Unlike bile, this is a normal stomach secretion, but it can cause problems in larynx and pharynx if it gets refluxed there.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:36am
Teach
     That is the correct way to take a PH test on ppis.I did that and I was the FIRST one he tested that way .Yes they have a bile tester machine and I don't have any idea how it works.

Cheers
careful lives
HGD jeff
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 1:24pm
Hi Richard (aka Hewson),

You are correct in your identification of bile as being of importance.
The study refered to here from April 2012 identifies the importance of bile in affecting cellular changes.
And this study published a few days ago, finds the combination of acid and bile is required.

However, if all acid, bile and pepsin can be removed, it will not stop reflux. Even if the refluxate is benign, it can still damage throat and airways - as many of us can testify to and have experienced at our cost.

What we need is a cheap, simple and effective way to stop reflux of any sort. Presently, although there are promising ideas and devices in experimental stage, the laparoscopic Nissen fundoplication, with all its concerns over longevity, appears to be the best option. LINX shows promise but insufficient data yet. Unfortunately early results for Endostim are less favourable (data not yet published).

Chris
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 1:39pm
I have a better idea then ALL the doctors.A tube with a repairable wireless valve in it . Hit the switch it opens or closes that simple .rRemember you can't throw up with a Fundo too. I would do this IF I get HGD again and most older people would too BECAUSE they don't want Cancer.

IP IP Logged
Pyrrhonist

Quote Pyrrhonist Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:36pm
> Richard (aka Hewson)
If you recall - I am not allowed to post under my own name as you have disabled that account! This somewhat forces the use of an alias. However my details are included in my profile.

<a href="http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23921815" target="_blank">
Is interesting. Add this to the study that found that <a href="http://www.springerlink.com/content/p4qt7lx3j53g2813/">PPIs case gallbladder malfunction in most people</A> and I find the conclusion disturbing.

I can find no data on the occurrence of bile in the stomach in the absence of PPI therapy. I suspect that, since there have been no cure for pyloric reflux (without which bile cannot enter the stomach), bile in the stomach is not properly measured routinely.

<a href="http://www.ucdvoice.org/lpr.html">Larygopharyngeal Reflux</a>
should interest you. It points to the importance of pepsin.

It is difficult to differentiate between acid, bile and pepsin as the cause of the symptoms - though I have worked out a few clues.
Richard Torrens. - See my www site for my own experiences with Barrett's and reflux etc.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version