Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Good news ! Post Reply Post New Topic
paulb
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote paulb Replybullet Topic: Good news !
    Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 3:33pm
Just had my endoscopy. I love propafol.

After two halo treatments (halo 60, 22 zaps the first time, 8 the second), my barretts is eradicated (at least visually). I had non-dysplastic BE short segment 1.5cm.

This is great news particularly as I was beating myself up over being indulgent recently.

I have a new "junction" !

Doctor says I have no anatomical features that would make barretts more likely (hernia, los etc).

The theory is excess abdominal pressure combined with too much alcohol, caffeine etc. which "might" have relaxed the valve particularly when supine.

He also said that everybody probably has some "leakage" of acid stomach contents on a daily basis. It could be that genetically I'm a little unlucky that it results in barretts.

What it points to though is lifestyle change.

He had a good look at the cardia as well and all looks good.

I do have signs of non-erosive gastritis ( no surprise there )

He's reducing me 1 capsule of Nexium to see how I get on and recommends a scope in 12 months time.

As for recurrence, the jury is still out on that one, but I'm in a better position physically and educationally than 8 months ago when my mum died of oesophageal cancer.

What is cool is that he spoke to me at length afterwards, and gave me a printout of the reports, and photographs, of the before and after situation.

I honestly feel like I've got a friend looking after me. Couldn't be more impressed by his attention to detail and care.

He's offered to consult with me via email as I transition to the UK doctors.

Seriously considering flying to the USA to see him for follow after I've returned to the UK. A good doctor is priceless.

All this assumes the biopsies are clear, of which he took many.

If only all healthcare was like this. I realize how incredibly fortunate I am.

Paul.

IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 3:39pm
Great news, Paul.

Which part of UK are you returning to?
There are some great gastroenterologists in UK - and, unfortunately, some not so good ones!
IP IP Logged
paulb
Groupie
Groupie

Quote paulb Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 5:48pm
Hi Chris,

I will be in Leicestershire.

I'm sure there are some excellent GI's in England. I'm prepared to pay and travel if necessary.

I'm unsure what the protocol will be on observation now that I've had RFA etc...would I have the default 2-3 years you think ? my Dr...recommends annual for the first couple of years at least...so that will mean private I think.

I guess its tough when you've built up trust in a doctor for what you perceive to be a "serious" condition and then you need to let it go and build new relationships.

Also, I'm not looking forward to not having Propafol ! :-)

Thanks again Chris...

Paul.
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2013 at 11:18pm
        Great News for you Paul !!! I can go from a 4 month EGD to 6 month now .So there is hope after HGD .
SOoooo Paul there's nothing WRONG with your GI tract so " It's All Up To You "" like the song says..

Here it is every 12 months after Halo for 1 or 2 years then 2 years after that. But do what you want .

Find a Great UK doctor then have him send your Photos ect. to your USA doctor for a review .My doctor did that for Mike Hood (down under) for Free and never met him ..Great Doctors always like to follow their work even if they don't make any so called FUNDS .

I have the BEST !!!!!!!!

Go get some Fish and Chips ..

Jeff   

Edited by jcombs99 - 08 Aug 2013 at 2:48am
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version