Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Another newbie question - Peptac Liquid Post Reply Post New Topic
DanJ
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Quote DanJ Replybullet Topic: Another newbie question - Peptac Liquid
    Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 2:29pm
Forgive me , but as i have just found you guys , i have a lot to share/ask!

I just wondered , Peptac Liquid , in the recent past (last year or so) i have had a bottle , or a few sachets close to hand , to take after a spicy dinner , or maybe a pub meal , now the thing is , before me or my wife really had any idea on Barretts , my wife especially , used to see me taking it and worry that i was having an `attack` where i was taking it for peace of mind

My question to you guys is , is it normal to take this after every meal ? and if it is , what are the real benefits ?

Or indeed , what is bad about it?

Cheers!

Dan
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 2:45pm
I've never used Peptac liquid but think it's the same as Gaviscon: an alginate plus antacids.

It is perfectly OK to use but you probably don't need it after every meal.

It lines the oesophagus and floats on top of the acid in the stomach like oil on troubled water reducing the risk of splashback. I don't know of any detrimental effects.
(I like the idea it's not made by Reckitt Benkiser who pulled a fast one on NHS withdrawing Gaviscon when the patent was about to run out so they had to prescribe Gaviscon Advance - more expensive and no extra benefit.)

But I would suggest you try not to take it unless you know you need it - or it becomes a habit and may not feel the benefit when you do have a bad acid day?

P.S. Don't worry about asking lots of questions. We encourage anyone new to do so. Hopefully we can help.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 2:52pm
Just found this within an article in The Guardian in 2008.

Gaviscon:
This antacid medicine for heartburn and indigestion comes in pill, liquid or sachet form, in flavours such as peppermint, lemon or aniseed. Gaviscon contains "alginate", a derivative of seaweed, which, explains Brendan Nyss, spokesman for the Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS), "acts as a kind of raft that sits on the acid in the stomach, suppressing acid reflux". Alginate itself is specific to Gaviscon. The manufacturer of Gaviscon, Reckitt Benkiser, is currently in litigation to protect its patent. But again, there are cheaper alternatives. Peptac is an alginate derivative very similar to Gaviscon. It comes in peppermint or "original" liquid form, though not in tablets, and, says Nyss,"is very effective".

Gaviscon does offer an "advance" formula containing double the alginate. Peptac does not have an equivalent. However, says Nyss, "I would always recommend shopping around for a generic version to start with, then moving up to something stronger if that is not effective." Since Gaviscon costs ú7.95 for 600ml while Peptac is just ú3.50 for a 500ml bottle, this approach could soothe your bank account too.

Edited by chrisrob - 23áJulá2013 at 2:54pm
IP IP Logged
DanJ
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DanJ Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 3:00pm
thats the stuff Chris , Tesco , Boots and the like do it @ ú3.90 i think it is these days , your right , i dont wnat to take it daily , and i dont either , i just didnt want to suffer from `silent reflux` without knowing about it so was wondering about using it more often on that basis , but i think i will stick to having it when i feel a little `off` maybe
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 3:04pm
You should be on PPIs because you have Barretts .What did your doctor give you to take ....
Remember heartburn is one thing but Barretts means you already caused a lot of damaged and going down a ruff road .

Edited by jcombs99 - 23áJulá2013 at 3:06pm
IP IP Logged
DanJ
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DanJ Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 3:06pm
I am on PPI`s , 30mg Lansoprazole once a day (have been on them steadily for 12 months , sporadically before that) , but as long as the peptac liquid is taken at least two hours after (in reality it would likley be lunch or evening , so probably about 5 hours at least) the dose , it`s OK to use

Edited by DanJ - 23áJulá2013 at 3:07pm
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 3:31pm
I'm on 60mg IF it works use it .
You will see @ your next scope IF what your doing works.
IP IP Logged
DanJ
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DanJ Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 3:33pm
what next scope , doc wont refer me !
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 23áJulá2013 at 3:50pm
My opinion carpenter 12 months my gi 12 months ,NHS 24 months .GET another doc .
That simple.
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version