Message Icon Topic: releived Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
arrow
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote arrow Replybullet Topic: releived
    Posted: 28áJaná2013 at 10:43pm
I cannot say how releived i am to find this site,I was diagnosed almost 18 monthsago and basically have just had drugs thrown at me and not a lot else.
I have only been on the site a few days and have already found some new ideas to try.
I am totally fed up with trips by yellow taxi to hospital when i ring nhs direct to ask how i can releive the cheast pain i think is being caused by the barrats and emediately i am told hold on we are putting you through to the ambulance service ( 7 times last year) the last time was boxing day and despite even sayingto the doc after he said to me what makes you think your having a heart attack? he still insisted on carrying on as if it was a heart condition and kept me in over night to wait for blood result came to the bedside in thew morning said good news it is not your heart go home i did not even get the chanceto discuss barretts with him.
One glimmer of light was a doctor i saw in november again after being sent in by the gp as the cheast pains had reared their ugly head and was sent to the emergency assesment unit the doc on the unit ordered a ultra sound scan which i finally managed to get to today and from the noises the radiographer made that was all clear.
so i guess for now it is carry on with the pantoprazole and ranadin (just started that one after imeprazole didnt help) .
im due for a gastroscopy shortly which i am not looking forward to after the last one (panic attack after the doc didnt listen to me and kept silent instead of talking nonesense or having a nurse natter in my ear sister was not impressed when i pulled the cam out finally managed to have it done though lol ).
any ideas anyone is itbetter to be nocked out or have the throat spray?? i was persuaded on the day to have the spray instaed of the nock out (pity i have not seen that nurse since lol ).
hopefully now i have found the forum i can get some answers from those who know and help out others if can.
blessed be
john
IP IP Logged
arrow
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote arrow Replybullet Posted: 29áJaná2013 at 5:20pm
Ok im confused now lol (not hard to do) i have just spoken with the osophageal patients association who told me that barretts should not effect quality of life is she right??
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29áJaná2013 at 6:01pm
Hi John,

Great you've found us. Let's see if we can answer your questions.

It is true that acid reflux symptoms can be similar to heart symptoms. I have had a number of ECGs to prove there's nothing wrong with my heart. - Which is reassuring as my father died of a heart attack when I was a young teen: he thought it was just another bout of indigestion he'd suffered with for years. (50 years ago, endoscopies weren't an option.)

Your Pantoprazole and Ranitidine should provide relief from most acid symptoms. As the OPA have said, once the medication is right, most people with Barrett's should be able to live a normal life - apart from the endoscopic surveillance every couple of years to reassure the Barrett's hasn't become dysplastic.

You are not the only one to fear the scoping procedure. Nobody likes it. However, if you opt for the sedation, you probably won't remember much about it.

Do ask any questions you may have. There's usually someone here who may be able to offer support based upon our own experiences.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
arrow
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote arrow Replybullet Posted: 29áJaná2013 at 6:48pm
Hi Chris
Many thanks for that i was begining to think it was just me looks like I had better start badgering the doc to send me back to the gastro guy.
The reflux term confuses me slightly as i do not get any acid taste in my mouth at all I think the last time I had any bile in my mouth was on my stag night 20 years ago or am i confusing the two i do not have a gall bladder either (i woke p after my apendix op to the doc telling me i hadot told him i had gall bladder problems he had removed a perfectly good appendix but had to leave the gall bladder for another time as i had only consented to the appendix removal lol .
As far as the endoscopy goes i will definately go for the sedation the camera was ok but the film crew and lighting took some swallowing lol.
oh is there a support group in essex do you know?
 blessed be
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 29áJaná2013 at 7:02pm
Hi John,

Not everyone has the same experiences of reflux which can be acidic or not and contain bile or not. (I had my gall bladder out as well - three and a half years ago.)

your comment about film crew. It's worrying if they shout, Cut!

Presently there is no support group in Essex. There is a group in Cambridge run by a different charity but they don't seem to be active.
We would love to see other support groups around the country and if anyone wishes to start one, we'll provide all the support we can.
This page on the Barrett's Wessex site describes the processes of starting one.

Cheers

Chris
IP IP Logged
arrow
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote arrow Replybullet Posted: 29áJaná2013 at 7:43pm
Hi Chris.
it is even more worrying if they have turned the table and yell cut lol LOL.
Once i get my head around this a bit more i might have a bash at starting a group sometime in the future.
BB
IP IP Logged
arrow
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote arrow Replybullet Posted: 29áJaná2013 at 10:11pm
Hi Again
Just had a thought does anyone experience the same effect
i can spend two or three days not doingmch at all and then wallop the cheats pains start (normally followedby trip to the doc then being sent to A&E to be told go home).
Or i can spend three days shoving furniture around without any problems at all although this is not always the case today being an example two hours doing some poop scooping and tidying in the garden then mopping the floor (muddy boots and paws lol) and i am paying for it now would gaviscon or something simular be worth trying??
B B
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 30áJaná2013 at 9:31am
Hi John,

Exercise whilst keeping the body upright (eg going for a walk) can help to move the food etc. through the digestive tract. However, exercise that cramps the stomach or causes the oesophagus to be lowered (such as sit ups or bending) can force the stomach contents to reflux.

So, walking the dog is fine, but you'll need to invest in one of those poop scoopers with a long handle rather than bending to the task - or take him for walkies before your lunch rather than after it.
If you need to do any stooping, make sure you haven't eaten beforehand.

Gaviscon is an alginate that floats on the stomach contents like oil on water, coats the oesophagus and helps neutralise acid so is very useful as an immediate acting medication to deal with acid reflux.

Cheers

Chris
IP IP Logged
Nellie
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Nellie Replybullet Posted: 30áJaná2013 at 12:07pm
Hi Arrow

I was intersted to read that the docs have now prescribed ranitidine as well as a PPI for you. I have been on various PPIs for 2 years now and for the first year I felt that they were largely ineffective against my symtoms. About a year ago the gastro doc prescribed ranatidine to add to the esomeprazole (80mg) that I was already taking and I feel that my symptoms have improved although not completely gone. So I hope you find some benefits from ranitidine too. Like you, my symptoms come and go; I can have a month with symptoms and then a week or so without but I have come to the conclusion that, for me, that is the way Barretts is.
Currenty I am taking 80mg of esomeprazole plus ranitidine when my symtoms are present and then I reduce the esomeprazole  to 60mg when they are ok.
Good luck with the ranitidine.
Nellie
IP IP Logged
arrow
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote arrow Replybullet Posted: 30áJaná2013 at 12:36pm
Many thanks Nellie
i am still getting to grips with barretts and all the terminology that goes with it I must admit at first i thought great the ranitidine was working but things seem to be slipping oh well I am only on the second pack so i will soldier on lol .
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version