Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Just Diagnosed! Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 3 Next >>
Pushka

Online Status: Offline
Quote Pushka Replybullet Topic: Just Diagnosed!
    Posted: 12 Jun 2008 at 11:05pm
Hi all!
I got the news from my GP yesterday that I have Barrett's Oesophagus, still in shock! How did others take the news? Did anyone else feel scared and confused like me? Am I over reacting? Help!!Shocked
It would be great to have contact thru this forum with others who have been through the same thing...
Thanks! Thumbs%20Up
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 8:04am
Hi Pushka and welcome to the forum.

I guess many will feel shocked, scared and confused when they are diagnosed. Most haven't heard of the condition before and, if they then find out there's a chance it could lead to cancer it can become quite worrying. However, that risk is very small (about 1%) and at least your doctors and you know about it. They will keep surveillance to watch for any changes that would precede any cancerous development and take preventative action if they were to see any.
The way I look at it is we're lucky to know. The majority of those with Barrett's don't know and their condition could develop and not be spotted until it's too late.

I have found this forum very helpful. It is populated by many in the same situation as yourself. Just reading their experiences can be reassuring.

Chris
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 13 Jun 2008 at 1:12pm
          Everyone is scared when they are told . In a few days you will rebound like we all do .Go to the BARRX.com website . Spend a few hours on it, it will answer most of your questions .Find JHH board on barrettes ( theres a link on the barrx site). Always get a second or a third opinion on every thing . I"m getting the barrx done on 9/5/2008 .
GOOD LUCK

Edited by jcombs99 - 05 Aug 2008 at 1:52pm
IP IP Logged
Pushka

Quote Pushka Replybullet Posted: 14 Jun 2008 at 2:41pm
Thanks so much for your replies!
I do feel a little calmer, but now I want to know EVERYTHING about it!
I feel as though I was told and then sent home with a prescription, no info, and no support offered...
The advice to get second opinions is good..already I feel I don't trust the medics, as when I had my endoscopy, the letter I received a couple of weeks later told me that they had found nothing!
If I hadn't gone to see my GP to talk about more meds, as I was still struggling (seeing that there was "no cause for concern" from my biopsies!), then I wouldn't have known that I had been diagnosed! Why would they do that?? My letter from the consultant said "nothing found", and my GP's letter said "Barrett's Oesophogus!"
Angry
Oh well...yes at least I know now, which is a blessing I guess...
Thanks for the info about the BARRX website, I'm off to check it out now!
KInd regards to all

IP IP Logged
REFLUXER

Quote REFLUXER Replybullet Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 1:16pm
Hi Pushka, Calm down,, yes we all go into a terrible panic when we find out, but hey you know Ive had about 2 years to get used to it. Try not to do what I did, went into a deep depression and could only think the worst.. Yes... everything is just a matter of fact to the medics (not all I suppose) but they see this kind of stuff everyday and we are just a number. I first heard the word Barretts when the doctor had the endoscope down my Oesophagus as he was discussing my case with Students present... He never said a word to me about it, I had to ask him "Did you say Barretts?" He said yes I did, and I said "Well I said thats bad isnt it?" Oh he said its just another word for Reflux.
Well I came out of there and broke my heart because I thought he was being very matter of fact....
Anyway since then Ive had the laprascopic fundiplication op done to help stop the reflux, hasnt worked too well, but according to the hospital there is no reflux now and I suppose I should listen to then, even though sometimes I get such discomfort and pain and start to panic. Hence the stress I cause myself is surely making my symptoms worse... Hospital said, they arent worried about my 2cm of barretts and that I will have another camera in November 2009... Cant wait yuk! but needs must, and as another member says,, WE ARE THE LUCKY ONES TO KNOW WE HAVE IT..so they can keep an eye on it.
Good luck, push to get the operation done it is a great success in 75% of sufferers, however it will not cure the Barretts, but might keep the reflux at bay so more damage is not created. Do you know what helped my refluxing the most....Youll never guess, well in February this year I was rushed in hospital with a herniated disc in my cervical spine, it was crushing my spinal cord and causing numbness and pins and needles and all that sort of thing..I was lucky "AGAIN" because any slight trip or slip or whiplash may have caused me to be a quadraplegic now but thanks to the neuro surgeon I am still working, walking, typing, so they are not all bad. So you see with my mind off the reflux for a while, and not stressing about it, miraculously it went away......
for a while at least.... While I was stressing over something else..... I know Barretts is not in our minds, but we do, all of us, create a lot of refluxing ourselves keep stressing about it.....Chin up take care.
IP IP Logged
Pushka

Quote Pushka Replybullet Posted: 28 Jun 2008 at 7:34pm
Hi Refluxer!
How kind you all are to take the trouble to reply!
Thanks so much for your support-I am trying to calm down, truly I am haha..I have gone thru phases of telling myself off for being pathetic and that I should count myself lucky, and then yes, I do panic and I'm in floods at times when I look at my 10 yr old daughter, and fear the worst...Cry
I am going to go back to my doc as I have so many questions..I am wondering if he will refer me to the consultant so I get more info and see what my options are if any...
Your experience was horrendous..makes you feel worthless to be treated like that huh? I'm so sorry to hear that you had to go thru that.
Well, I am training to be a counsellor, and I tell you, my insight will be so much more if I ever have to try to help anyone in this situation..
THANK YOU for replying, it's such a boost to be in contact with others in a similar position who have such positive attitudes.
Ying%20Yang
IP IP Logged
joyce wilcock

Quote joyce wilcock Replybullet Posted: 10 Jul 2008 at 9:50pm
Hi pushika I am recently diagnosed and am in a bit of panic as my grandad died of cancer of the oesophogus so need to chat and not feel aolone with this, the healthcare team appear totally none plus with this so it is up to us sufferes to stick together exchange tales and gee each other up, keep positive hun , I am still reeling but hope to level out soonConfused
IP IP Logged
pygmalion

Quote pygmalion Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 3:09pm
Hi Pushka:

Sorry to hear about your Barrett's Oesophagus. I was diagnosed with it just this last April. As others have said, we are all scared at first. The best thing I have found that will calm you down is to get proactive and gather all of the information on Barrett's that you can. I have been through two previous cancers so I guess I am more used to dealing with these things.

Have you requested a copy of the pathology report on your biopsies? If so, it should mention how advanced your Barrett's is. It should mention the word "dysplasia." The best situation is if it says you have NO DYSPLASIA. I hope this is your diagnosis. Other possibilities are Low Grade Dysplasia and High Grade Dysplasia. The report should also mention the length (in cm) of your Barrett's.

In my opinion, you should also seek out a 2nd opinion of your biopsy slides. No pathologist is perfect and mistakes do happen. When I had my prostate cancer in 1996, I obtained four opinions and they were all a little different!

I am located in the U.S. but have been to London several times and have traveled quite a bit in the Glasgow, Scotland area.

We are all in this together and I know that everyone on this forum will do their best to help others if they can.

All the best,

Ralph
IP IP Logged
jcombs99

Quote jcombs99 Replybullet Posted: 02 Aug 2008 at 8:47pm
Couldn"t have said it better RALPH .

Jeff

Edited by jcombs99 - 02 Aug 2008 at 8:58pm
IP IP Logged
Quill
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Quill Replybullet Posted: 05 Aug 2008 at 9:13am
I agree with all the sentiments expressed by others who have responded to your news. There are positives. You have been diagnosed and there are treatments and you will continue to be monitored. Think of the people who don't know, are not monitored and may be suffering and/or getting worse without even realising it! It is natural to want to know all about it once you have anything, but again a little bit of knowledge can do you harm. It is easy to scare yourself witless. We all have active imaginations and will often think the worst. Talking to others and seeking appropriate advice is good. So welcome to our select club. I hope we can be of service. Why not join and help others benefit in ways that hopefully you can too.
Quill
IP IP Logged
Page  of 3 Next >>
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version