Message Icon Topic: Mucus & Nasal Mucus & Tiredness Post Reply Post New Topic
Beefy
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Online Status: Offline
Quote Beefy Replybullet Topic: Mucus & Nasal Mucus & Tiredness
    Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:41pm
Hi all,

I was diagnosed over 2 years ago in the UK and am having my next Endoscopy on Friday in Cyprus where I now live. I am on Omeprazole twice a day and Motilium 3 times a day when I eat (1 or 2 tablets depending on how I am).

I am getting a lot of Mucus at night which is causing me to blow my nose a lot, it drives me mad and my husband! The mucus can also make me wretch in the morning when I get up, I have read somewhere it is linked to Barretts and would appreciate any feedback from others.

Other than that is just the usual tiredness, exhaustion and   usual other symptoms which I can handle most of the time. I would love to hear from some of you, its my first time on here and would love to have a support network of people to talk to who understand.
IP IP Logged
Suzy

Quote Suzy Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 8:52pm
Hi Beefy

Sorry to hear of your plight and if it's any comfort, you are not alone in experiencing problems with mucus/wretching. This used to be a real problem for me too but I've tried several things with considerable success. Don't know if it's one solution or a combination of them all but it's worth a try, although if you are concerned about what I'm going to suggest ask your doctor.

I have a drink of Slippery Elm "tea" just before going to bed. This coats the oesophagus and helps protect it and for me seems to help the mucus problem. I gave up diary products altogether on the advice of an holistic therapist and now only use soya milk, soya spread etc. I thought that would be difficult but I found I actually prefer the soya to cows milk. If you can't get the slippery elm you could try and get a bottle of cold pressed organic peanut oil and a bottle of cold pressed organic sesame oil. Mix them together so you have a 50/50 solution and have a tablespoon in the evening. I take this early evening as well. It's supposed to have healing properties - I don't know if it does, I just know it's very soothing for me.

It's important to raise the head of your bed if you haven't already done so. About 6-8 inches, using blocks, bricks, books or whatever you have to hand.

With regard to the tiredness, I think some of that comes with the territory sadly but you could try asking for a different PPI. I find I'm much better on Lansoprazole than when I was on Omeprazole.

You could also ask for a blood test to check your iron levels, B12, zinc etc. The PPi's restrict the absorption of a lot of the essential vitamins and minerals and it's easy to become deficient without realising it.

Best wishes and let us know how you are getting on.

Suzy

IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:25pm
Good luck for your endoscopy on Friday, Beefy. You should be able to find out for sure whether you have Barrett's or just GORD - which does cause the mucus problems you describe.

As Suzy suggests, raising the bed head should help prevent the reflux. Even on high dosage omeprazole reducing the acid, the reflux will still exist and needs to be controlled by lifestyle changes:
lose weight (if appropriate), eat small portions - little and often, don't eat for 3 hours before going to bed, give up smoking (if appropriate), reduce alcohol and caffeine.

Chris
IP IP Logged
Beefy
Newbie Plus
Newbie Plus

Quote Beefy Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 2:50pm
Thanks Suzy & Chris I will certainly look into Slippery Elm etc. I had my Endoscopy today, despite the NHS in the UK stating I have islands of barretts at the top of my Oesophagus, today in Cyprus I have been told I do not have barrettsbut have GORD. I am now home with my notes and looking at them they say my Duodenum is Normal to DZ - is this anything to be worried about? I also have 4 pictures attached to my notes but have no idea what is what! Hope you can help me with the Duodenum question too x
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 3:08pm
Hi Beefy,

Your scope report gives good news.
It's possible the "islands of Barrett's" you were previously diagnosed with were actually just oesophagitis.
It would be unusual to have Barrett's islands at the top of the oesophagus as Barrett's is normally found at the base of the oesophagus.
I'm puzzled by "Duodenum normal to DZ". That your duodenum is normal means nothing to worry about. They presumably decided to do a full gastro-oesophageal-duodenoscopy to look at your stomach and duodenum at the same time as your oesophagus.
I would normally have thought the DZ referred to the "Z line" - the junction between the cardia of the stomach and the base of the eoesophagus - though a small "dz" is sometimes used as an abbreviation for disease, in which case the report could be saying your duodenum is normal for GORD. Did they not provide feedback on the stomach or oesophagus? Or, perhaps, they've taken biopsies and you'll get a report in a few weeks?

Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version