Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ. Post Reply Post New Topic
bobdigi

Online Status: Offline
Quote bobdigi Replybullet Topic: IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ.
    Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 5:35pm

I had an edoscopy today. And i'm going to put my results on a topic in a minute. But i wanted to get this info out as quick as i could with a heading people would notice.

For anyonne who recieves a letter from the hospital prior to an endoscopy, and some of the info says "if you are taking acid suppresing drugs ie ppi's, please stop taking two weeks before procedure"
 DO NOT STOP TAKING IF YOU HAVE BARRETTS. i repeat DON'T STOP TAKING YOUR PPI'S IF YOU HAVE BARRETTS.

The nurse i spoke to couldn't believe the hospital was still giving out this info.
 She told me never to stop them for future Endos. As far as i know this info should only be ignored if you have Barretts.

Chris did tell me this info was wrong. However i stopped them because i thought this new test they were doing (vinigar test) may required it.

I don't know if this is just at QA hospital. But i wanted to tell every one so they didn't make the mistake i had and payed attenntion to the info.

I'll post my results up in a minute. But besaikly they have found 2 cm of inflamation above my Barretts. This is probably due to me stopping my PPI's for 2 wweks.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 5:40pm
Hi Bob.

Agreed!
I have written to QA a few times without reply (I'd like them to consider promoying Barrett's Wessex as SOuthampton do) - then they may get more useful advice
IP IP Logged
bobdigi

Quote bobdigi Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 6:13pm

I also told them today that they should change this info as soon as possible.

I don't think it will happen any time soon. But if enough people bring it to their attention maybe someone will listen.

I have to say apart from the wrong info concerning the PPI's. The rest of the experience was as good as it could have been.

Apart from the fact i share the no effect from sedation problem as you.

They found some inflamation, hopefully because i stopped taking my PPI's.

In your oppinion, do i need to worry about this inflamation turning to Barretts?

Thanks Chris, Bob.
IP IP Logged
chrisrob

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 08 Oct 2012 at 6:20pm
Hi Bob,

Of course, I must say I am not a doctor but I imagine if the oesophagitis has been caused by being off acid suppressants for a couple of weeks, it's unlikely to progress to Barrett's now you are (presumably) renewing your medication.

I do remember my first scope (1994) when I was shown "the bit that looks like the lining of intestines" but also the length of red raw oesophagus above it that cleared up after a couple of weeks on PPIs.

All the best

Chris
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version