Barrett's Oesophagus
 Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Support Forum :Barrett's Oesophagus
Message Icon Topic: Capsule colourings Post Reply Post New Topic
Sandra W

Online Status: Offline
Quote Sandra W Replybullet Topic: Capsule colourings
    Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 11:04am
Hi All,

Since I started taking PPIs four years ago, I have been given a number of different brands in a variety of colours including white, pink and white, green, two-tone blue, red and black, and bright yellow.

Although I realise that almost all drugs have side-effects and I have always experienced problems with these, I have noticed that these effects have been worse when taking certain brands, particularly the highly-coloured ones.  Since Omeprazole is Omeprazole regardless of who makes it and what colour the capsules are, I suspect that the difference is due to the colouring additives.

While I tolerated the white and pink and white brands best, use of the green, blue, and red and black varieties coincided with an increase in nausea and bowel upsets.  Worst by far are the bright yellow capsules which I have been taking for almost a year and have resulted in more pain and bloating than I would ever have believed possible!  I have tried taking my prescriptions to different chemists but to avail, as all the chemists in this area seem to stock the same brand at any given time, and I guess this probably depends on which brand is cheapest at the time.

Considering that pills are made, stamped with the drug name and dose, sealed into labelled containers (usually blister packs) which are then further packed into printed boxes, there is clearly no identification or medical need for these increasingly bizarre colourings. 

Over the years there have been numerous reports concerning many people’s intolerance of food additives, including colourings.  Since there is no logical reason why these items would be any better tolerated when added to other products, it seems crazy to add them to medicines which already produce side-effects in most people.

It is possible that manufacturers use these additives to make their brands different from those made by rival companies, but I see no sense in this when nobody buys or uses pills for their appearance and nobody, apart from those who end up taking them, ever sees them anyway once they have been packed!!!  As regards manufacturers’ price wars, I would have thought cutting frills, keeping costs down and offering cheaper deals would do more to increase sales than adding to production costs with unnecessary extras. 

I could, of course, try opening the capsules and just taking the contents, but I think it would make a lot more sense if manufacturers stuck to the basics and stopped adding this rubbish to our pills!!!

Has anyone else noticed a difference in how they react to different brands, especially ones with different colours?  Any thoughts on this, anyone?

All the best,

Sandra.

E-mail: swilliams888@hotmail.co.uk
IP IP Logged
chrisrob
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote chrisrob Replybullet Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 12:25pm
Interesting hypothesis.

I know when I was first switched to omeprazole from pantoprazole (not sure why), occasionally the pharmacist, low on generic omeprazole, provided me with branded Losec.

I found the Losec more effective than the generic omeprazole - though they were supposedly identical. I wondered whether it was something to do with the enteric coating.
When I discussed it with my GP, instead of him poo-pooing the ideas, postulated it may have something to do with the granule size and, recognising there may be a difference, marked future prescriptions specifically as Losec.
IP IP Logged
Sandra W

Quote Sandra W Replybullet Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 10:58am
Hi Chris,

Thanks for reply.  I've never actually opened a capsule so I don't know whether or not there is a difference is granule size, but I'm curious about this now.  I think I might still have a few (probably out of date by now) capsules from old prescriptions lurking in the cupboard - if I find any I'll have a look and see what's inside.

I ran out (thank goodness!!!) of my latest bright yellow Omeprazole capsules yeaterday.  Collected a new prescription this morning and will try my luck at the chemist later.  However, I'm not getting my hopes up - bet I end of with more of the yellow menaces again!!!

All the best,

Sandra.
E-mail: swilliams888@hotmail.co.uk
IP IP Logged
Post Reply Post New Topic
Printable version Printable version